Friday 18 September 2009

The 100RMB Challenge - Day 5

Today for breakfast I got a couple of steamed buns, or "baozi". One with basically a pork meatball inside, the other one filled with some sort of vegetable and minced pork.


Total for breakfast: 1.2RMB (US$0.18)


For lunch, I got these mini pan fried pork buns called "sheng jian bao", which are a street food staple here in Shanghai.


You have to pay attention when eating them though, because the juices from the meat are locked inside; if you're not careful when you bite into them, it will squirt everywhere! I've messed up more than one shirt while eating them at work. Considering their small size, they are a lot more filling than they look - I got eight of them, and I could just barely finish.


Total for lunch: 5RMB (US$0.73)


I wasn't so hungry at dinner, so I decided to just make onigiri (Japanese rice balls). Three different types of sprinkles, for variety..


Total for dinner: 1RMB (US$0.15)


Total spent today: 7.2RMB (US$0.91)


Money remaining for the week: 38.2RMB (US$5.59)


Now here's the REAL challenge. It's Friday night, and people are gonna want to go out. What to do, what to do?..

1 comment:

elai314 said...

Keep it up man. Most of the food you got off the street looks good! And when did you learn to cook like that?