Monday 14 September 2009

The 100RMB Challenge - Day 1

14.2RMB per day. US$2.09. That's how much I have to live on today. How can I possibly do this?? Lunch normally costs me anywhere between 30-80RMB (approx. US$4-12), and if I eat out for dinner, which is pretty regularly, at least 100RMB (approx. US$15). Plus you add in taxis, which start at 11RMB (US$1.60) per ride. It seems virtually impossible. In reality though, people in China are doing it everyday.


I guess I just gotta get creative.


Luckily for me, I live close enough to work that I can either walk or ride my bike. If it wasn't for that, I think this challenge would be over before it even started; commuting would have taken up half of my allowance. Anyways, sweet, money saved there.


Breakfast today consisted of what is called a "Meat Moon Cake" (trust me, it tastes a lot better than it sounds). It's basically like a sausage roll, with flaky pastry on the outside, and a meat filling. This particular one comes from a famous bakery in Shanghai that is well known for these. The soy bean milk is compliments of our pantry at work.


Total for breakfast: 2.5RMB (US$0.37)


Ok, that was a good start. I'm on track.


Lunch time. I went to this noodle stand across the street from my office. You have to sit at tables outside on the sidewalk, and it's slightly dirty, but I just tried to think of it as "al fresco" dining. The noodles are freshly made and they actually taste good! I got the cheapest bowl of noodles on the menu - basically it came with pickled vegetables on top. I have to admit, I was a little envious when I saw other people's bowls topped with meat and eggs, but still, my humble little bowl of noodles did the trick.


Total for lunch: 4.5RMB (US$0.66)


On the way home from work, I stopped by my local outdoor market to pick up a couple things. I got a half dozen eggs for 3.2RMB (US$0.47)


..some vegetables for 1.1RMB (US$0.16)


..and I also bought a jug of water for 3.8RMB (US$0.56). And here's dinner:


I did use a bit of left over chillies, garlic, and parsley, but again, the amount I used compared to the cost is so negligible, you can't really count that.


Total for dinner: 8.1RMB (US$1.19)


Total spent today: 15.1RMB (US$2.21)


Money remaining for the week: 84.9RMB (US$12.40)


Yes, I went over my per diem, BUT, I didn't use up all the eggs, veggies, and water, did I? So that will be money saved in the coming days.


I think that was a pretty good first day. Let's see what day 2 has in store..

No comments: