Tuesday 15 September 2009

The 100RMB Challenge - Day 2

Alright, Day 1 went relatively ok. I think I might actually be able to do this. Let's see what this 2nd day has in store. Walking to work, I spotted this stand:


They sell these savoury pancake type things, mixed with chives and some spices, and topped with sesame. They sell it by weight. I asked for half of one of those big pieces.


Total for breakfast: 1.5RMB (US$0.22)


Next came lunch. I really didn't want to have to have soup noodles 2 days in a row, so I was willing to up my lunch budget a bit. And I was pretty psyched when I found a cheap non-noodle spot. I went with what is pretty much my favourite Chinese dish of all time - kung pao chicken. I can't even count how many times I've eaten that same dish back in Vancouver at Snow Garden on Main and 50th, the only Chinese restaurant in India town (go figure). It was a sad, sad day when they closed down after I don't know, like 15 years (may it R.I.P.). Anyways, I digress. Back to China.


Inclusive in the price, you get unlimited refills of rice and soup. Deal!


Total for lunch: 8RMB (US$1.17)


For dinner, I bought a pack of instant noodles, and used an egg and some of the vegetables that I still had left from yesterday to make this tasty little fried noodle dish.


Total for dinner: 1.1RMB (US$0.16)


Total spent today: 10.6RMB (US$1.55)


Money remaining for the week: 74.3RMB (US$10.88)


I'm pretty stoked. I am actually ahead in my spending. I have an extra 2.7RMB! That's breakfast tomorrow!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

clap! clap! clap!

elai314 said...

Boy do I miss Snow Garden. I'm drooling thinking about the dumplings. I can probably eat twenty easily right now! R.I.P. indeed.