Monday 1 November 2010

Breakfast of Champions

I was over at my friends Thuy and Eugene's apartment for dinner the other night, and I asked if they had a good book they could lend me, as I was out of stuff to read. Thuy gave me this:

I'd never read any of Kurt Vonnegut's work before, but by the end of the first chapter, I was an instant fan. His writing style is not for everyone - he's definitely one of a kind - but his dark satire on Americana is hilarious.

With each turn of the page, you have no idea where his mind is going to take you next. It's whacky, it's silly, it's improbable; but his deadpan, matter of fact, simple style of prose is hilarious, and his basic observations on society which we often take for granted are spot on. I read a review that said, "Vonnegut writes like he is explaining life on Earth to alien children." And that actually sums it up pretty well.

And in the same style as his writing, the amusingly simple illustrations drawn by Vonnegut are just as funny and integral to the story.

I won't explain the plot, because it's pretty out there, but if you're looking for something a bit off-the-wall and completely unpredictable, give this modern classic a try.

No comments: