Sunday 22 August 2010

Shanghai SummerSlam!

WWE SummerSlam came to the Shanghai Expo! We got hooked up with free tickets, so how could we pass up an opportunity to drink beer and eat popcorn while watching guys in Speedos b*tch slap each other?

I'd never been to a live wrestling match, so I was pretty stoked, and had my hopes set high. But I have to say, I don't know if they scaled down the event because it was in China, or if it just looks that much better on tv, but I was a little underwhelmed.. The ring looked a lot smaller than I imagined it would be, and I was expecting way more lights and smoke and lasers!

Although I was surprised by how much the crowd was totally into it. Everyone was wearing their favourite wrestler's tee, and on their feet yelling and chanting for them to do their special moves.

They knew all the storylines, cheering for the good guys, and booing the bad. I was completely clueless, as I haven't watched wrestling since back in the days of the Iron Sheik and Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat. But still, it was a comically entertaining way to spend a Sunday evening.

No comments: