Friday 21 May 2010

Extreme Possibilities

I happened to dig out this CD this morning, which I haven't listened to in years, and I'm still in awe of it - it's been said by many, and I agree - Coldcut's 70 Minutes of Madness in the Journeys by DJ series is probably one of THE best mixes of ALL TIME. I know that's a pretty ballsy statement to put out there, but the way this CD effortlessly crosses musical genres, seamlessly mixes a "you put what next to what?" track list, and is completed with an incredible production, makes this a mix that needs to be heard.

70 Minutes of Madness combines drum and bass, electro, dub, hip-hop, reggae, techno, and a bunch of other sounds I can't even classify, all into one auditory bomb that will blow your mind. Junior Reid, Newcleus, Funki Porcini, Jedi Knights, Queen Latifah, Mantronix, Masters at Work, Photek, Boogie Down Productions, Red Snapper, DJ Food, and on and on.. - the playlist seems all over the place (and it is), but that's where the genius is behind the madness - the mixing and production are so slick, you'll barely even realize you've already moved on to the next track.

Listening to it again after all this time, it sounds just as fresh today as it did when it was first released back in 1995. Of course, it's not for everybody, and it's probably not one you're going to be playing at your next house party, but for the musically intellectual, those with an open mind, and those who want to hear a piece of musical history in terms of DJing and mixing, have a listen.

On the inside cover, I rediscovered this statement. I think starting today, I'm going to use it as my new mantra..

No comments: