Sunday 27 December 2009

Sound Advice

My Bose ear buds just broke (again), so I thought I'd try a different pair this time and give a comparison. I ended up picking the Nakamichi MPE-550, which are in the same price range as the Bose (around US$100).


The Bose are clear and crisp, with nice bass response and great dynamic range. The only reason I am switching is because the wire connection has broken twice during the year and a half that I've had them.
I chose the Nakamichis because they claimed great bass response. However, on first listen, they sound really muffled and muddy. While the bass is in fact pretty solid, the mids aren't clear, and the highs are not bright at all. It sounds like I'm listening to music through a pillow..

****

Follow up:
After letting them wear in for a couple of weeks and letting my ears get accustomed to them, I have to say, the bass of the Nakamichis is pretty incredible for ear buds. The sub 150Hz range is really clearly defined and never distorts, no matter how loud I turn up the volume. However, the mid-range and highs are still pretty crap.
Bottom line, if you only listen to music with a lot of bass, like rap and hip-hop, you'll get your boom for the buck. But if you want all around quality audio reproduction, Bose wins hands down.

No comments: