Sunday 4 January 2009

Remains of the Day

Yesterday we went snowboarding at the indoor snow park.  It was my first time there, so I wasn't sure what to expect, although I set my expectations really low.  Yinqixing park is supposedly the largest indoor park in the world, at 14 stories high and 380m long, which is about the length of 4 football fields.  Above is a picture of what it looks like from the top.

The "snow" feels almost like sand, or like my friend Mike put it, "like riding on a slushie". 
 But the good thing is, it's kind of powdery and never icy or hard packed.  They even have a few boxes and jumps to play with.

The only thing that's not so great is getting up the hill.  They only have this super slow t-bar that I think you can walk faster than.  And I BROKE IT!  It wasn't really my fault, but I basically popped one of the springs inside the bar, so that it wouldn't retract when you let go of it.  They had to shut the whole thing down and make everybody move to the other t-bar which was EVEN SLOWER!  Sorry!! 

But overall, considering it only took us 20 minutes to get there, and it cost about US$30 for the day, it wasn't bad.  The only real downside to the day was that I totally destroyed my bindings. I guess because my board hasn't seen much action in the last couple of seasons, the plastic became brittle.  So throughout the afternoon, it slowly fell apart, until all my straps snapped and I was eventually only connected to my board by my leash!  Someone actually came up to me and wanted to buy my board, even though they new it was busted (I guess Burton boards are expensive here).  I contemplated it as the guy wanted me to name a price, but in the end, I couldn't part with it.  I've had this board for way too long and been everywhere with it - too much sentimental value.  But I guess it's finally time to lay it to rest.  Here's what remains of my little Burton, broken, in it's body bag..


No comments: